Founding Trustee and Director
Suman has worked for more than 35 years for the liberation of child laborers, fighting not only for their welfare but also their right to a healthy childhood with a special focus on Girl child, social and economic empowerment of people from marginalized
sections of the society with special focus on women empowerment. She is a pioneer in the struggle to end child labour and trafficking in India: prevention, awareness, intervention, and rehabilitation. Apart from organizing nationwide campaigns and creating awareness about trafficking on village level, Suman has been a part of many rescue operations of children over the years.
- initiated the Movement for the Child's Right to a Childhood
- Founding Director of rehabilitation centre for trafficked children for forced labour
- Convenor of the National Coalition for Education (NCE)
- Convenor of FIAN India
- was keynote speaker at the ILO and International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU) annual convention in June 1994, in Geneva, helping to put child slavery on the global agenda
- recipient of the Rotary Club's Paul Harris Fellowship, 2005
- invited as speaker in a conference on Right to Water in Vienna, Austria, 2010
- presented status report of Right to Food of Women in India before the CEDAW committee, 2014
- recipient of Antigone Award 2015 in Sweden
- member of an advisory committee of Nation Human Right commission of India on Food Security
Other Team Members
Our TCT Team encompasses 11 persons, working in our Delhi office and in the field.